FlexPerks Visa - Signing Up to Redeem Points
This tutorial explains in detail how to sign up with U.S. Bank to redeem FlexPoints from the FlexPerks Visa credit card. If you do not have a FlexPerks Visa, skip below to see an overview and history of the FlexPerks Visa credit card.
Author: Keynote Support
Redeeming Your U.S. Bank Visa FlexPoints
You can redeem your U.S. Bank FlexPerks Travel Rewards FlexPoints in two ways: by telephone (888-229-8864) or online. To view and redeem flexpoints online, you must sign up for Internet banking with U.S. Bank. Do not panic! You do not have to open a checking or savings account with U.S. Bank.
It is very easy to enroll in Internet Banking with U.S. Bank. Follow our step-by-step directions below. Make sure you have your U.S. Bank FlexPerks Visa card with you at your computer.
Enrolling in U.S. Bank Internet Banking
- In order to keep these instructions on your monitor while you enroll, right click on www.usbank.com and click Open Link in New Window.
- From the U.S. Bank homepage, click Enroll in Internet Banking below the login area. On the Enroll in Internet Banking window, choose your account type, view the Terms and Conditions (required), and click Enroll Now.
- On the next page, click the radio button next to "I do not have a U.S. Bank checking or savings account."
- Then click the radio button next to "I have a U.S. Bank Credit Card, Premier Line or CreditLine" and click Continue.
- On the next window, enter your FlexPerks Visa account number. Then, click the radio button next to "Signature Panel Code" and type the 3-digit number from the back of your Visa card on the right side of the signature area. Also type the card expiration date, and your billing zip code. Then, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. Click Submit.
- Have pen and paper handy for the next step. You are now on the Create Personal ID and Password window. Enter a Personal ID (Login ID) of your choice, a password, and the email address you used earlier. Write these items down! Click Continue.
- On the next window you must answer three (3) Shield Questions. Click show more questions to display all of the available questions. Click a question and type your answer in the empty box that opens. After answering 3 questions, check "Always ask me to answer an ID Shield Question when I login," and click Continue.
- For additional security, choose a Shield Image or Sound. Use the dropdown menu to select a category, then choose an image or sound you'll remember. Then type a short phrase. Click Continue. (When you login to U.S. Bank Internet banking, the image or sound you selected will display before entering your password.)
- The next window confirms your choices. Click Submit.
- The next window gives you the option of signing up for online statements. Under Eligible Accounts, there is a box with a checkmark in it by "Credit Card." If you DON'T want online statements, remove the checkmark in the box by clicking in the box. Then click Continue.
- The next window references Internet Bill Pay and is not relevant, so click Continue.
- The last window says Enrollment Finish. At this you need to completely exit the U.S. Bank website and then go back in and test your logon as shown below. So click Home in your browser window or cancel out of the browser window completely.
Logging into U.S. Bank Internet Banking
- Go to www.usbank.com. Enter your Personal ID in the space provided, and click Sign in or Login. (This is the Personal ID you created above. This is NOT your FlexPoints number or your Credit Card number.)
- Answer the ID Shield question and click Enter.
- You should now see the ID Shield Image or Sound you chose. Enter your password and click Login.
- You are now on the "Your Accounts" window. Click REWARDS CENTER on the sidebar. From the "Rewards Center" window, click View under Current Reward Balance or Available for Redemption. (Alternately, you can click first on your credit card to view purchases, payments, and balance; and then - from that window - click Check Your Rewards.)
- Then, on the "Account Summary" window, click Browse Rewards or Air Travel Rewards - Powered by Travelocity. Both links take you to the "Browse Rewards" window where you can browse all the different items, including airfare, that you can purchase with your FlexPoints.
- To change contact information, security settings, and email information, click Back to Your Accounts and click YOUR PROFILE at the top of the window.
- To Log out, return to the "Rewards Center" or "Your Accounts" window and click Log Out.
History of the FlexPerks Visa
For years U.S. Bank offered a WorldPerks Visa card which allowed Northwest Airlines frequent flyers to accumulate points towards flights. However, the WorldPerks program folded into the Delta SkyMiles program when the two companies merged in 2009.
As U.S. Bank did not want to lose millions of Visa customers, they created their own frequent flyer Visa card called the FlexPerks Visa and automatically sent the new FlexPerks Visa card to their WorldPerks Visa customers. However, anyone can apply for a FlexPerks Visa and accumulate FlexPoints.
Overview of the FlexPerks Visa Card
There are three cards available: the "Travel Rewards Visa® Signature" card, the "Select Rewards Visa®" card, and for businesses, the "Business Travel Rewards Visa®." U.S. Bank compares the features and benefits of the three cards on this chart.
The FlexPoints can be redeemed for flights on over 150 airlines and other services and merchandise. It is regarded as a viable contender among frequent flyer credit cards. Purchases charged to the Visa card earn either one or two FlexPoints per dollar, and the annual fee is waived on two of the three cards if qualifying purchases reaches a minimum amount in a calendar year.
FlexPoints can be redeemed for airline travel, hotels, car rentals, merchandise, gift cards, cruise gift cards, and statement credit. And as of the date of this article, there are no award travel blackout dates, capacity controls, and frequent flyer miles can be earned on award flights of participating airlines.
FlexPerks Visa award travel redemption is powered by Travelocity® and one can choose flights from over 150 airlines. U.S. Bank uses a system where the number of FlexPoints required for a flight depends on the ticket value of the flight. For instance, as of today 20,000 FlexPoints are required for a ticket up to a $400 value, and 30,000 FlexPoints for a ticket up to a $600 value. Redeeming points for hotel, car rental, and cruise certificates follows the same strategy - i.e. 10,000 FlexPoints is required for a $100 certificate.
Registering for the Bonus FlexPoints in 2009
To entice the WorldPerks Visa customers to keep the FlexPerks card, U.S. Bank offered bonus miles if users registered (flexperks.com/freeflight10), flexperks.com/freeflight15. Update: Both links now redirect to Marketing Email Preferences for your FlexPerks Visa Card webpage.
Many folks do NOT create passwords that are strong and/or unique to each account. And most folks write down their passwords where others can easily find them. It is especially important to create strong, safe passwords for online financial accounts or frequent flyer accounts. For great tips on creating strong passwords that are unique and easy to remember, please see our blog post Creating Strong Passwords You Can Remember. (Opens in new browser tab/window).
We hope this information has been helpful. Please see our disclaimer below. Cheers!
Disclaimer: Keynote Support is providing general information in a highly readable format as a service to the visitor. We have made every effort to provide information accurate as to the date of this article, but the reader cannot infer from this article that Keynote Support is providing financial advice. Please consult with your financial advisor.
Please link to this tutorial using the following HTML:
<a href="http://www.keynotesupport.com/usbank-redeem-signup.shtml">FlexPerks Visa - How to Signup with U.S.Bank to REDEEM Points Online</a>
Return to the top of FlexPerks Visa - Signing Up to Redeem Points