FlexPerks Visa Credit Card:
How to Sign Up With U. S. Bank to Redeem Points Online
The FlexPerks Visa credit card is a product of U. S. Bank. This tutorial explains in detail how to sign up for an online account and how to login and redeem FlexPoints for travel rewards or products. It also provides an overview and history of the U.S. Bank FlexPerks Visa credit card. (Updated May, 2014)
You can redeem your U.S. Bank FlexPerks Travel Rewards FlexPoints in two ways: by telephone (888-229-8864) or online. To view and redeem FlexPoints online, you must sign up for Internet banking with U.S. Bank. Do not panic! You do not have to open a checking or savings account with U.S. Bank. We'll tell you everything you need to know!
Prerequisites to Obtaining a U.S. Bank Online Account for FlexPerks VISA
If you a using a relatively new computer, skip to the next section. U.S. Bank states that their web-based applications are compatible with the following operating systems: Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7; and Mac OS X.
Also, you must be using a browser at the following release level or higher: Internet Explorer 7.0, Firefox 3.0, Google Chrome 11.0, or Safari 3.0.
It is very easy to enroll in Internet Banking with U.S. Bank. Follow our step-by-step directions below. Make sure you have your U.S. Bank FlexPerks Visa card, pen, and paper with you at your computer.
How to Set Up a U.S. Bank Online Account: Step by Step Directions
- In order to keep these instructions on your monitor while you enroll, right click on www.usbank.com and click Open Link in New Window.
- From the U.S. Bank homepage, click the Get Instant Access button below the Login Area.. The Enroll in Online Banking window will open.
- On the left half of the window, select the type of account. We will assume our readers have a Personal account, so click Personal.
- Directly below, two options will appear asking if you have a personal checking, savings, or money market account. If you ONLY have the U.S. Bank Visa card, click NO.
- Again, more options appear below. Click I have a U.S. Bank Credit Card, Premier Line or Credit Line account.
- The right side of the window will request your Visa account information. Enter your card number and other data and click Continue.
- Have a pen and paper handy as you complete the signup process. You will be asked to enter a Personal ID (Login ID) and password (see Creating Good Passwords below). You will also need to answer three (3) Shield Questions, and a Shield Image or Shield Sound for additional login security. (When you login to U.S. Bank Internet banking, the image or sound you selected will display before entering your password.)
- During the signup process you will be given the choice to accept online statements only. Be careful as the checkbox for online statements is checked by default! Uncheck this box if you DO NOT want online statements.
- Click Continue to proceed to each new window, and just click Continue on any window that is not applicable, such as Internet Bill Pay.
- During the process you will have to accept Terms and Conditions. After reading the documents, place a checkmark by each and click the button indicating that you accept these Terms and Conditions. You cannot create an online account without accepting U.S. Bank's Terms and Conditions.
- When the website notifies you that your enrollment has been completed, you must exit completely out of the website and browser window. Bring up a new browser window and test your login by following the login instructions below.
How to Login and Redeem U.S. Bank Visa FlexPoints
- Go to www.usbank.com. Enter your Personal ID in the space provided, and click Log in. (This is the Personal ID you created above. This is NOT your FlexPoints number or your Credit Card number.)
- On the Online Banking window, answer the ID Shield question and click Enter.
- You should now see the ID Shield Image or Sound you chose. Enter your password and click Login.
- If you see a Welcome to Online Banking window, click Continue. And if you haven't logged in for a while, you may have to accept new Terms and Conditions before proceeding. Place a checkmark next to the two documents and click I Accept..
- Before displaying your account window, U.S. Bank may display a "Welcome" window. Click Don't show this again and click Proceed to Online Banking.
- You are now on the "Your Accounts" window. Click My Rewards on the menu line above and the "Rewards Center" window displays.
- From the "Rewards Center" window, click the Redeem Rewards button. The next window displays your current points total and rotates information, including using FlexPoints to pay your annual credit card fee.
- From the Manage Points window, you can view your points history, purchase points, or transfer points.
- To redeem points for travel or gifts, click Browse Rewards. This windows changes from time to time, but there is usually a list of categories to choose from, such as Travel.
- If you click the Travel link, you will eventually land on a page, powered by Travelocity®, whereby you can select flights, hotels, or packages.
- Click Return to Rewards to exit the Travel application and return to the Browse Rewards webpage.
- To change contact information, security settings, and email information, click Back to Account and click Edit Profile.
- To Log out, return to the "Rewards Center" or "Your Accounts" window and click Log Out.
Overview of the U.S. Bank FlexPerks Visa Card
U.S. Bank has three versions of their Visa credit cards which accumulate FlexPoints. They are:
- Travel Rewards Visa® Signature card
- Select Rewards Visa®" card
- Business Edge Travel Rewards Visa®. card
U.S. Bank compares the features and benefits of the three cards on their FlexPerks Cards Comparison webpage.
The FlexPoints can be redeemed for flights on over 150 airlines and other services and merchandise. It is regarded as a viable contender among frequent flyer credit cards. Purchases charged to the Visa card earn either one or two FlexPoints per dollar, and the annual fee is waived on two of the three cards if qualifying purchases reaches a minimum amount in a calendar year.
FlexPoints can be redeemed for airline travel, hotels, car rentals, merchandise, gift cards, cruise gift cards, and statement credit. And as of the date of this article, there are no award travel blackout dates, capacity controls, and frequent flyer miles can be earned on award flights of participating airlines.
FlexPerks Visa award travel redemption is powered by Travelocity® and one can choose flights from over 150 airlines. U.S. Bank uses a system where the number of FlexPoints required for a flight depends on the ticket value of the flight. For instance, as of today 20,000 FlexPoints are required for a ticket up to a $400 value, and 30,000 FlexPoints for a ticket up to a $600 value. Redeeming points for hotel, car rental, and cruise certificates follows the same strategy - i.e. 10,000 FlexPoints is required for a $100 certificate.
How to Make Good Passwords
Many folks do NOT create passwords that are strong and/or unique to each account. And most folks write down their passwords where others can easily find them. It is especially important to create strong, safe passwords for online financial accounts or frequent flyer accounts.
Some general password suggestions are: 1) don't use common words or names, even if they are long, 2) don't use sequential letters or numbers, 3) make passwords long with a variety of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters, and 4) don't use personal information as your passwords such as birth dates, maiden names, etc.
For more tips on creating strong passwords that are unique and easy to remember, please see our blog post Creating Strong Passwords You Can Remember. (Opens in new browser tab/window).
History of the U.S. Bank FlexPerks Visa Credit Card
The FlexPerks Visa credit card was introduced in 2009 as a replacement for the Northwest Airlines WorldPerks Visa - a card which accumulated points for Northwest's frequent flier program. When Delta and Northwest merged, the Northwest frequent flier program went away and its members automatically became members of Delta's SkyMiles program.
The demise of the WorldPerks program brought an end to the WorldPerks Visa. In an attempt to keep these credit card customers, U.S. Bank created the FlexPerks rewards program and issued FlexPerks Visa cards to them. At the same time, Delta tried to persuade these folks to sign up for the Delta SkyMiles American Express card instead.
When all these changes occurred, we kept everyone alerted and provided options and instructions for our readers. For the details of this merger of the airlines and their frequent flier programs, see our archived tutorial on the NWA - Delta merger.
As U.S. Bank did not want to lose millions of Visa customers, they created their own frequent flyer Visa card called the FlexPerks Visa and automatically sent the new FlexPerks Visa card to their WorldPerks Visa customers. However, anyone now can apply for a FlexPerks Visa and accumulate FlexPoints.
We hope this information has been helpful. Please see our disclaimer below. Cheers!
Disclaimer: Keynote Support is providing general information in a highly readable format as a service to the visitor. We have made every effort to provide information accurate as to the date of this article, but the reader cannot infer from this article that Keynote Support is providing financial advice. Please consult with your financial advisor.
Please link to this tutorial using the following HTML:
<a href="http://www.keynotesupport.com/credit-money/usbank-flexperks-signup.shtml">FlexPerks Visa - How to Signup with U.S.Bank to REDEEM Points Online</a>